Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties - TOBUNKEN, Tokyo, Japan
Access to TOBUNKEN (Official information)
There are two international airports in Tokyo
- Narita Airport located north of Tokyo
- Keisei Railway: Narita Airport to Keisei Ueno station (about 40 miinutes by the direct express train)
- Japan Railway: Narita Airport to Tokyo or Ikebukuro stations
- Limousine buses leave to various destinations of downtown Tokyo (about 1.5 hours)
- Haneda Airport (Limited number of airlines use this smaller airport, but easier access from downtown Tokyo)
- Keihin Kyuko Line train: Haneda Airport to Shinagawa station (about 30 minutes)
- Monorail train and Yamanote-Line train: Haneda Airport to Hamamatsu-cho station, then Change to Ueno
- Limousine buses leave to various destinations of downtown Tokyo (about 30 minutes)
AccommodationsPlease make a booking by yourself. Various hotels with good access to TOBUNKEN are available near Ueno, Ikebukuro, Akihabara, and Tokyo train stations.
Below are some recommended hotels around Ueno station. All are within walking distance from Tobunken (about 15 min.). A walk through Ueno Park to Tobunken is very refreshing!
Hotel Emit Ueno (reasonable)
If you are looking for a less expensive place, there are some hostels around Yanaka area such as this one.
The venue is very close to some of Tokyo's most famous tourist attractions.
Below are all within 30 minutes distance by train, bus, or walking.
Asakusa is a historic town with traditional temples and shrines.
Yanaka is a good place to walk and shop in a old downtown atomosphere.
Akihabara is famous for shopping electronics and also as home to "Otaku" culutures.
Ginza is the place if you are looking for a more luxurious or high-end shops.
Below are some links to toruist brochures for Tokyo.
Enjoy your stay!
Tokyo Travel Guide
TOKYO Travel Guide – Find brochures for travel Tokyo – TOKYO Brochures
Travel guide for Muslims
Restaurant Guide for Vegan and Vegetarian
Map of the Ueno area
UENO – Find brochures for travel Tokyo – TOKYO Brochures
Ueno Park Guide Map
Map of Ueno for Muslims
E-money card for transportation and shopping
An e-money card (Welcome Suica issued by JR East = East Japan Railway Company) is convenient for moving around and shopping in Japan.
See JR East website for details.
It can be used for trains, subways, buses, and shopping in station kiosks and some stores.
It can be purchased at Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, and major JR stations.
Be aware that although purchasing is possible with credit cards at JR East Travel Service Centers, only cash can be used for vending machine and to recharge.
We advise that you exchange your currency to Japanese Yen at the airport, since currency exchange shops are rare in cities.
You can also withdraw cash using credit cards from ATMs in convenience stores which is easy to find in most places.
E-money (Welcome Suica) vending machine at Haned airport
SIM cards can be purchased from vending machines at airports, but some machines only accept cash.
SIM card vending machine at Haneda Airport (Keikyu railway station entrance)